Sunday 21 September 2014

Do What You Love

The last year of high school can be a confusing, stressful and very emotional time for everyone. Besides studying extra hard to ace all of your tests and exams, you have to make life changing decisions all on your own. Yet despite the different journeys of each individual, in the end we are all faced the same daunting question... "What do I want to do with my life?"
This has been by far the hardest question I've ever had to answer. Why? Because my answer was I don't know. I didn't know what I wanted to do when I finished year 12 and I definitely had no idea what career I wanted to follow. But that was the choice I had to make. Of course I did make a choice in the end, but it turned out to be the wrong one.
I vowed to myself that I would never again do anything to do with Art/Design as by the end of year 12 I had, had enough of it. Therefore at the start of this year, not straying completely from my interest despite what I said to myself, I commenced studying Architectural Design at University. I met some great people and was interested in what I was learning but it didn't feel right, leading to my withdraw from the course. 

Long story short, I was angry, frustrated, confused and disappointed that I was now doing nothing with my life. I didn't want to be doing nothing, I didn't want to take a "gap year" or half but maybe I didn't realise it's what I needed. During this time I didn't have to worry about academics and it gave me a chance to relax, clear my head and lead me to the path I wanted to walk.

Which brings us up to now. I am currently studying Design (Visual Communication) and 8 weeks ago I was apart of the mid-year University intake. I can honestly say that compared to the start of the year when I was shy, scared and unenthusiastic for the first weeks of my Uni experience, this time around I was still shy and a little bit scared (who wouldn't be having to get to know a bunch of people you've never met!!) but I was beyond excited to get right into things. 

I was with a bunch of likeminded people, learning about things I was passionate about. 

Just being able to have that creative outlet and being able to turn it into the start of a career, allowed me to find my path in life. Even though I said to myself I would do nothing of the sort. 


So here's my advice to you

1. Don't listen to anyone telling you to do something you don't want to do! 
2. Pursue something that interests you, it could even be something you naturally have a flare for.
and finally...
3. Don't be afraid to take a breather! Give yourself some time out to think! 



I didn't do this and I learn't the long way.

But at the end of the day regret nothing because you might not be where or who you are today!

0 comments:

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio